In New York, hunting is a popular form of wildlife recreation, and the state is also home to many gun owners who engage in target practice at shooting ranges. Although these are actually safe recreational activities, the improper use of firearms can lead to serious and deadly accidents. If you or a loved one was injured in a hunting or firearm accident, the law office of Michael LoGiudice can help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Hunting and Firearm Accidents
Although New York requires all new hunters to take a sportsman’s education class in order to receive a hunting license, hunting and firearm accidents occur for a number of reasons. At times, hunters fail to follow safety regulations and discharge weapons in an unsafe manner. There have also been shooting accidents in which other hunters have been mistaken for game.
However, common factors involved in hunting or firearm accidents include:
- Running or walking with a loaded firearm
- Placing or removing a loaded firearm in a vehicle
- Leaving a loaded firearm in an insecure resting place
- Shooting across a roadway
- Shooting near occupied buildings, schools and playgrounds
- Shooting without a clear view of the target and beyond
- Failing to engage a firearm’s safety mechanism
- Crossing fences, climbing trees, or undertaking any other awkward activities with a loaded gun
When a shooting accident occurs, the police or the Department of Environmental Conservation will conduct an investigation of the scene to determine the circumstance that contributed to the accident. Their accident report will be be an essential element in a personal injury claim. Nonetheless, it is crucial to have proper legal representation by an attorney with experience in hunting and firearm accidents.
Gun Safety Rules
Because guns are dangerous when they not used properly, it is crucial to follow rules for safe gun handling to avoid accidents, including:
- Always treat a gun as if it were loaded
- Always keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to use it
- Always be aware of your surroundings when handling guns
- Always keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction
- Always keep you finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot
- Always use proper ammunition
- Be sure of your target and what is beyond it
- Ensure the barrel is clear of obstructions before loading and shooting
- Don’t rely on the gun’s safety mechanism to keep it from firing
Gun Accidents in the Home
Numerous studies have shown that having guns in the home increases the risk of both accidental gun injuries and intentional shootings. These incidents often occur when weapons, particularly handguns, are not secured properly. Although some individuals believe having a gun in the home will provide protection, unsafe storage practices contribute to fatal and nonfatal unintentional shootings, and children are particularly vulnerable.
New York Gun Accident Attorney
If you were injured in a shooting accident, the law office of Michael LoGiudice will help you understand your rights and explain all the legal options. Depending on the circumstances, damages related to a firearm injury may be covered by homeowner’s insurance. In addition, many hunters carry hunting accident insurance to cover potential shooting accident victims.
We will work diligently to ensure the insurance company pays the full value of your claim. You may be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering, past and future lost wages, medical expenses and property damage. If a loved one was killed in a shooting accident, it may be possible to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit. Although gun enthusiasts and hunters have a right own weapons, we are dedicated to holding negligent gun owners accountable. Call our office today for a free consultation.
The law office of Michael LoGiudice serves clients in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Nassau, and Suffolk Counties.