New York School Injury Attorneys
Each Day, parents send their children to school expecting that they will learn and play in a safe environment. At times, however, school staff can be negligent in the supervision of children, leading to serious injuries. If your child has been injured in an accident at school, you need an experienced attorney by your side.
The law office of Michael Logiudice believes that no child should suffer because of the negligence of a school and its employees. We are dedicated to holding responsible parties accountable and helping families recover meaningful compensation to help their children heal.
Negligent Supervision of Children
Schools have a duty to provide an adequate standard of care for children and keep them safe from harm. There are specific guidelines about leaving children unsupervised and they must have constant supervision in the classroom, hallways, and on playgrounds to ensure their safety during classroom hours, recess, and after-school activities.
Although teachers and other school employees are responsible for supervising children, negligent supervision can lead to all types of injuries, including:
- Classroom accidents – Children can be injured during chemistry experiments and suffer burns in lab experiments due to negligent supervision, from a slip and fall on wet floors, or when a poorly maintained desk collapses.
- Playground accidents – Serious injuries can be caused by negligent supervision at the school playground, as well as the improper maintenance of, and manufacturing or design defects in, playground equipment.
- Gym and school sports injuries – Gym teachers and coaches must take proper precautions to ensure students are protected when participating in gym class or team activities. This includes properly maintaining sporting equipment and playing fields to make sure they are safe and providing proper supervision to prevent dangerous roughhousing or dangerous play.
- Bullying – All educators are trained to identify early warning signs of bullying or other conduct that can lead to physical altercations. If they fail to do so and a child is injured in a fight, the school can held accountable. Depending on the circumstances, the parents of the offending child may also be held responsible.
- School bus injury and accident– School bus accidents in New York can be caused by a driver who is distracted by a busload of children, improper vehicle maintenance on the part of the school or bus operator, or a defective part from the manufacturer.
- School crossing injuries – School crossing guards must be vigilant in directing traffic and safely guiding children across streets and intersections near schools. When they fail to do so, children can be severely injured, as well as by drivers who are speeding in a school zone or not paying attention.
Who is responsible for school injuries?
If your child has been injured in a school bus accident or at school due to negligent supervision, we will work diligently to hold the at-fault parties accountable, including:
- Public school districts
- Private school owners and operators
- Daycare providers
- Teachers and other school employees
- Negligent drivers
- Parents of other children
- Manufacturers and distributors of defective or dangerous equipment
Injuries at Public Schools or School Bus in New York
If there was a public school or a school bus injury in New York, it is possible to file a claim against a school district to obtain compensation for your child’s injury. However, you must first file a notice of claim within 90 days of the accident. The school district then has thirty days to investigate the claim before you file a lawsuit. We are well versed in the procedural rules for bringing lawsuits against public school districts and routinely pursue claims against other parties for negligent supervision at school.
Dedicated School Injury Attorney
While you are caring for your child, the law office of Michael Logiudice will fight to hold the negligent parties accountable. We will work diligently to help you obtain just compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and loss of future income if the severity of the injury will prevent your child from working. If your child has been seriously injured in an accident at school, you may be left angry and not know where to turn. Call our office or fill out a contact form today for a free consultation.